Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Stall

Procrastinate, stall, put things off, it works sometimes, sometimes problems resolve themselves and you breathe a sigh of relief. It can become a habit like waiting for your muffler to fix itself for instance. So far that is not working for me. I have a hole in the pipe before the muffler and it is getting noisier. Here at Hollywood Beach in Florida they have no inspection, no little labels to stick on your windshield so I can stall.

Laying on the beach that day I was going over another type of stall in my mind. Had been working on this for many years and hadn't progressed, no breakthroughs yet. It was one of many recurrent day dreams I had on different subjects and one would just pop up now and then and I would work on it.

It involves a plane or a glider, either with no power, and coming in for a landing where-ever. I am not a pilot so this is just my own senses that are being exercised here. Your coming in but there is no landing strip but that doesn't matter in this problem. The idea is to stall at just the right second so that your at zero altitude and speed at the same time. I don't know if it is even a real problem. An aeronautical engineer may laugh at the idea.

Margaret is probably a very advanced aeronautical engineer among many other such things. She didn't laugh just made the simple statement that it was easy and I could do it with the simplest of gliders and that I should try. Why I simply accepted that a stranger suddenly standing in the sand hovering above me should answer a day dream I was having I don't know but there they were, her and Patrick, standing there, time travelers, mind readers and wanting me to answer some questions about Hollywood Beach and a big wave.

Now these people may be way advanced beyond anything we can even imagine but they are not perfect. They had made a mistake and it could mess things up considerably though they did not seem worried. Maybe they had one of those flash devices that Men in Black had in the movie where they could erase my memory. If so I hoped it was selective.

Anyway they asked me about the wave and the wave had not happened yet. I did not know anything about it. What they really wanted to ask me about was Candy and my obsession with a murder that had taken place here in 1964 but they got their notes mixed up and there it was a wave was going to happen to Hollywood Beach, a big wave, not the kind that came with the hurricanes but the kind that came with landslides, in this case half an island many miles away slid into the Atlantic that just so happened to be triggered by a large 9.2 earthquake a thousand miles from that island. It was the interaction of those two wave producing events that had Hollywood at the very epicenter of a wave that would make Southern Florida an island, an uninhabited one.

I wasn't supposed to know any of this and they didn't ever tell me when it would happen but I could surmise that it would happen in the not to distant (my) future since here they were trying to find out all about Hollywood Beach for some kind of re-enactment or theme thing. They were talking about restoring this and that and Candy was integral to it all.

My ego was stoked by these aliens from the future who were asking me questions until I realized that they bounced around like jumping beans talking to all kinds of people at all times of the past. They had talked to Candy. That is why in 1966 she had looked at me that way, a sullen stare that she would not break even as her boyfriend and her lawyers went an talking and eating around her. She knew that they had talked to me in the future and I had told them something about her that she did not want to hear. That she was painted, that she was afraid of her future and would die in a few years. Getting off and getting rich for a murder was not all she thought it would be, they had told her when she would die.

And they had told her that she would live on in infamy in their instructional world.

And they took me with them and they gave me a glider and I landed it perfectly with a stall on Hollywood Beach coming in over the waves and simply standing up at the moment of stall, just putting my feet down like an eagle on its perch.

But there was nobody there.

No comments:

Post a Comment